Tuesday 28 February 2012

Child Bereavement Charity

As you may know I have decided to an Abseil on Saturday 17th March 2012 for Mothers Day to help raise some well needed funds for The Child Bereavement Charity.

Firstly I wanted to do something to distract from the heartache that is 'Mothers Day' as I did last year, I will do my best to avoid this day and treat it as a normal day. So this is a wonderful distraction and all for a great cause.

When Summer passed, we unintentionally raised over £4500 for our local hospitals Neontal Unit, I say un intentionally because we said if people wanted to send flowers we asked instead they made a donation to our just giving page. I couldn't bear the thought of hundred of pounds worth of flowers just sitting in the cold waiting to die, when peoples money could go to good causes - and it completely exceeded our expectations and we are proud to have 2 Neopuffs in the neonatal unit in Summers memory helping babies every single day.

This time I wanted to help people who had helped us this last year and they are The Child Bereavement Charity and I felt I should tell you a little about what they do:

The Child Bereavement Charity (CBC) is the UK’s leading charity that supports families and educates professionals both when a child dies and when a child is bereaved. Currently the charity trains around 5,000 professionals each year across health care, social care, education, the emergency services and the voluntary sector. It also provides a national support and information service, award-winning resources, an interactive website with an online forum for bereaved families, and Buckinghamshire-based family bereavement support.
Our vision:
When a child dies or is bereaved, all grieving children, young people and families have access to quality support and information relevant to their individual needs from appropriately trained professionals. 
Our mission:
To make a real difference to bereaved families through providing accessible quality support and information to all affected by the death of a child or when children are bereaved, and accessible quality training for the professionals who work with these families and children.

We have received monthly bereavement support and some days I don't know what we would of done had we not had somehwere to go and talk about how we were feeling. Its called bereavement support as counselling can be a scary term which people don't like to use.

So the abseil is being organised by the chairty and I shall be scalling 180ft building, but I figured if I can face the loss of my daughter I can most certainly walk down a building in her memory! So far I have managed to raise over £1200 and I am completely over whelmed and thrilled. I am very grateful as everyday on Twitter amazing people many going through heartbreak are raising money for extremely worthy causes, so my just giving page www.justgiving.com/polly-bristow makes me extremely proud :)

It has also opened a can of worms I wasn't expecting.........
It has made losing Summer ever more prominant and raw than it has been of recent weeks. I was very aware not to fund raise for the first 12 months of my grief as I felt it would be shying away from having to deal with what was going on around me. I didnt think doing this abseil would make me feel so sad, but it has and I think I will give myself time before I embark on any more fundraising.

So here's to being brave and making down the building!!

My heart aches for you every second of every day,I await the day I get to hold you again in my arms again xx

Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment